Thursday, July 7, 2011

Compassionate Angels (Anjos com compaixão)

 “Why do people blog?” My friend asked on Sunday. When he asked, I wasn’t exactly sure how to answer. Later on, I concluded we blog to express ourselves. Each person likes to express himself in a certain way. I have a cousin who designs mandalas, another does sculptures with metal, a third writes plays. As for me, I blog and discuss my feelings with complete strangers over the internet. Sound strange? Well, aren’t we all a little bit weird?

This week I was all set to blog about my deck. Actually, my hidden garden as I like to think about it. A place full of flowers, that I enjoy a lot, but nobody sees. Since I live in the US where people don’t have the habit of visiting each other, my lovely deck is only for the enjoyment of my husband and I. If we were in Brazil, many people would see it because there friends go to each other’s house. In the US, we go out a lot, but get-togethers with friends are rare and need to be scheduled way ahead of time. I saw my best friend last time in May. Who knows when I am going to see her again? In this land, this is not unusual…

That is what I was going to say this week to the strangers (or not) who read my blog. But suddenly I started to think about health, aging, and compassion. What provoked these thoughts was the fact that my mother-in-law was taken to the hospital, where she has been staying for the last few days. Looking at her so fragile and lost, filled my mind with questions about life and death. Are we all going to be in her situation one day? Why do we struggle to live longer if the end is usually so sad and undignified? What is the point of worrying so much about beauty and cosmetic surgeries when people might find themselves, in old age, wearing diapers? 

A visit to a hospital, no matter if it is to see a patient or to be there as a patient, is never an easy experience.   However, it surprises me to see the way that nurses and doctors cope with the sadness in the air. Whenever I am in a hospital, I encounter doctors and nurses who are very cheerful. Many of them turn out to be very compassionate. This time, I saw nurses being humorous with the patients, holding their hands and looking straight into their eyes when talking with them, and praising them for being capable of doing small things by themselves. I saw genuinely good people who seemed unaffected by all the sorrow around them.  

For someone like me, who tends to ponder too much and concentrate on the part of the glass that is half empty, instead of the part that is half full, it is wonderful to realize that there are people who really enjoy helping others. It is great to be reminded that even amidst the sadness of old age and illness, there are angels flying around, promising hope and happiness. 

ANJOS COM COMPAIXÃO
 
"Por que as pessoas blogam?" Meu amigo perguntou no domingo. Na hora, não soube exatamente o que responder. Mais tarde, cheguei à conclusão de que blogamos para nos expressarmos. Cada pessoa gosta de se expressar de uma maneira. Tenho uma prima que faz mandalas, outra faz esculturas em metal, outra ainda escreve peças de teatro. Quanto a mim, blogo para discutir meus sentimentos com completos estranhos através da internete. Parece esquisito? Bem, não somos todos meio esquisitos?

Esta semana eu ia  blogar sobre meu deck. Na verdade, meu jardim escondido como gosto de pensar nele. Um lugar cheio de flores, do qual gosto muito, mas que ninguém vê. Como moro nos EUA, onde as pessoas não têm o hábito de fazer visitas, o meu lindo deck é só para meu marido e eu curtirmos. Se estivéssemos no Brasil, pelo menos algumas pessoas o veriam porque lá os amigos vão à casa um do outro. Nos EUA, saímos muito, mas encontramos raramente com os amigos e esses encontros são agendados com bastante antecedência. A última vez que vi minha melhor amiga foi em maio. Sabe-se lá quando a verei novamente. Nesta terra, isso não é incomum ...

É isso que eu ia dizer esta semana para os estranhos (ou não) que lêem meu blog. Mas de repente comecei a pensar sobre saúde, velhice e compaixão. O que deu origem a esses pensamentos foi o fato de minha sogra ter ido para o hospital, onde ainda continua internada. Vendo-a tão frágil e perdida, me fez pensar sobre a vida e a morte. Será que estaremos todos nessa situação um dia? Por que lutamos para prolongar nossa vida se o fim é geralmente tão triste e indigno? Por que preocupar-nos com a beleza e fazer tantas plásticas se as pessoas, na velhice, acabam de fraldas?

Uma visita a um hospital, não importa se para ver um paciente ou se para ficar lá como paciente, nunca é uma experiência fácil. No entanto, fico surpresa  de ver a maneira com que os médicos e os enfermeiros lidam com a tristeza quase palpável no ar. Sempre que estou num hospital, encontro médicos e enfermeiros que parecem contentes. Muitos demonstram compaixão pelos doentes. Na minha última ida ao hospital,  vi enfermeiros brincando com os pacientes, segurando-lhes as mãos e olhando diretamente em seus olhos quando falavam com eles, e elogiando-os por serem capazes de fazer as coisas mais simples por si mesmos. Vi pessoas boas realmente, que não pareciam afetadas pela tristeza ao seu redor.

Para alguém como eu, que tende a pensar muito e se concentrar na parte do copo que está vazia em vez da parte que está cheia, é maravilhoso perceber de vez em quando que existem pessoas que realmente gostam de ajudar os outros. É ótimo ser lembrada de que mesmo no meio da tristeza provocada pela velhice e pela doença, há anjos voando ao redor, trazendo esperança e felicidade.

Photos: Bernadete Piassa

No comments:

Post a Comment