Saturday, July 16, 2011

The Pleasures of Routine (Os prazeres da rotina)

Photo: FreeDigitalPhotos.net
Whenever I go to a hospital I am reminded of the short story by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, The Trail of Your Blood in the Snow. In it, a young Spanish woman gets married, receives a bouquet of roses as a gift, and pricks her finger on a thorn. With her husband, she drives from Madrid to Paris on their honeymoon, and becomes worried when her finger never stops bleeding. In Paris, he takes her to the hospital, kisses her goodbye, and never sees her again: he tries to visit her many times, but his poor French and the guards of the hospital prevent him from reaching her. One week later, he hears that she had bled to death.  

My mother-in-law, was taken to the hospital last week, but did not disappear forever inside it as was the case in this haunting and beautiful story from Gabriel Garcia Marquez. However, something else did vanish inside that hospital: my routine. The long length of time that I spent at the hospital disrupted my life. It was difficult to work, to diet, to take care of things at my house. My “normal” life became non-existent and made me realize how I enjoy my daily routine. 

Routine gives me comfort. When I always do the same things in the same way, I don’t need to think anymore. But, if something different happens, and I am thrown out of my comfort zone: I have to improvise, make decisions. I think that’s the way it is for everyone. We live following a routine. We have our preferred time to wake up, our preferred route to take to work, our preferred activity to do before we fall asleep, which side of the bed is ours... When that routine is disturbed, we feel awkward. 

From time to time we get tired of the routine and need a break from it. We book a flight to the end of the world, spend a week seeing and doing different things, and are very happy to come home and return to our routine. Even criminals who escape from prison usually go back to the place they came from and are most familiar with. The police, knowing that, are right there waiting.

Poets and philosophers write about the importance of trying different things every day. I agree that it is fundamental to escape the monotony and discover new paths in life. But how can we throw up in the air the small things that we like and live a different life altogether every single day? I enjoy waking up knowing what I am going to do next instead of bouncing from one unknown to another every moment of every day. If I follow a routine, my body can live on auto-pilot while my mind is far way. The safety of the routine frees me to think and create.

The Scottish writer, Arthur Conan Doyle, once said: “My mind rebels at stagnation. Give me problems, give me work, give me the most abstruse cryptogram, or the most intricate analysis, and I am in my own proper atmosphere. But I abhor the dull routine of existence. I crave for mental exaltation.” I love my daily routine but, like this famous author, I can’t live without having my mind free to roam.  My perfect night ends with a routine: reading a book. The book always takes me to places that I have never explored, letting me travel in my imagination and escape from my routine.

OS PRAZERES DA ROTINA

Sempre que vou a um hospital me lembro do conto de Gabriel Garcia Marquez, O Rastro De Teu Sangue Na Neve. Nele, uma moça espanhola se casa, recebe um buquê de rosas de presente e espeta o dedo num espinho. Na lua de mel, ela e o marido vão de carro de Madri a Paris e ela começa a se preocupar quando seu dedo não pára de sangrar. Em Paris, o marido a leva para o hospital, dá-lhe um beijo de despedida e nunca mais a vê: ele tenta visitá-la várias vezes, mas sua falta de conhecimento da língua francesa e os guardas do hospital o impedem. Uma semana depois, ele fica sabendo que sua mulher sangrou até morrer.

Minha sogra foi levada para o hospital na semana passada, mas não desapareceu para sempre, como nessa história assustadora e maravilhosa de Gabriel Garcia Marquez. No entanto, outra coisa sumiu dentro daquele hospital: minha rotina. O tempo que passei no hospital bagunçou minha vida. Foi difícil trabalhar, fazer regime, cuidar das coisas na minha casa. Minha vida "normal" cessou de existir e me fez perceber como gosto de minha rotina diária.

Rotina me dá conforto. Quando faço as coisas da mesma maneira, não preciso pensar. Mas, se algo diferente acontece, saio fora da minha zona de conforto. Tenho que improvisar, tomar decisões. Acho que é assim com todo mundo. Todos seguimos uma rotina. Temos nossa hora preferida para acordar, nosso caminho preferido para ir ao trabalho, nossa atividade preferida para fazer antes de dormir, o lado da cama que preferimos ... Quando essa rotina é perturbada, a gente se sente desconfortável.

De vez em quando ficamos cansados ​​da rotina e precisamos de uma mudança. Podemos reservar um voo para um lugar bem longinquo, passar uma semana vendo e fazendo coisas diferentes, mas ficamos muito felizes em voltar para casa e voltar à nossa rotina. Mesmo criminosos que escapam da prisão costumam ir de volta ao lugar de onde vieram e com o qual estão acostumados. A polícia, sabendo disso, está sempre lá à espera deles.

Poetas e filósofos escrevem sobre a importância de tentar coisas diferentes todos os dias. Concordo que é fundamental sair da monotonia e descobrir novos caminhos. Mas como podemos simplesmente esquecer as pequenas coisas que nos dão prazer e viver uma vida completamente diferente a cada dia? Gosto de acordar sabendo o que vou fazer a seguir, em vez de ficar experimentando coisas desconhecidas o dia todo. Se sigo uma rotina, meu corpo pode viver no piloto automático enquanto minha cabeça está longe. A segurança da rotina me deixa livre para pensar e criar.

O escritor escocês Arthur Conan Doyle disse certa vez: "Minha mente se rebela contra a estagnação. Dê-me problemas, dê-me trabalho, dê-me o criptograma mais incoerente, ou a análise mais complexa, e estou no meu elemento. Abomino a rotina monótona da existência. Tenho necessidade de exaltação mental." Eu amo minha rotina diária, mas, como o famoso autor, não posso viver sem que minha mente esteja livre para explorar. Minha noite perfeita termina com uma rotina: ler um livro. O livro sempre me leva a lugares inexplorados, enquanto viajo na minha imaginação e escapo da minha rotina.

No comments:

Post a Comment