Wednesday, July 7, 2010

We Are All The Same (Somos todos iguais)


My aunt sent me an email with a picture taken by someone in Spain, which reads: “Your Christ is Jew, your writing is Latino, your numbers are Arabic, your democracy is Greek, your sound system is Japanese, your ball is Korean, your DVD is from Hong Kong, your t-shirt is from Thailand, your best soccer players are from Brazil, your watch is Swiss, your pizza is Italian, and you still see the immigrant worker as a worthless foreigner?” Wow… that really made me think.

The other day, I caught myself being extremely racist. My son told me about these people who were constantly partying in the parking lot of the apartment where he lives. Since I have seen the place and it is far from being in a good neighborhood, I asked him if the people were black. My son was furious at me for assuming that the people were black only because they were noisy. And I felt very ashamed of myself because he was right.

As a Brazilian, living in the United States, many times I face prejudice. I feel very offended when people mistreat me because of the way I look or speak. There is nothing worse for me than being considered ignorant or stupid only because I speak with an accent. However, even though I face prejudice, I still have prejudices about other races.

I was listening to a talk by the famous Brazilian spiritist Divaldo Franco in which he was saying that we were all the same. Rich and poor, white and black, Christian and Muslim, men and women… The spiritists believe that we live many lives, always coming to this world to learn and improve ourselves. We can be wealthy in this life and poor in another, depending on the lesson that we must learn. Because of that, we should treat everybody the same.

And still… it is so difficult. Now that I am married to an American, I understand even more about cultural clashes. My husband has a hard time accepting the way I pamper my children, like most Brazilian mothers do, while I have a hard time accepting the way he assumes that his children should be left alone to live their own lives. If two people who love each other find it difficult to accept each other’s values, what about entire countries, with sets of vastly different values?

It is not easy to be open to new ideas. I hope the new generation growing up in the internet age, in which people from all over the world interact, will be more accepting of other cultures. Maybe it is time for all of us to recognize that we are all human beings and treat each other as equals.

SOMOS TODOS IGUAIS

Minha tia me enviou um e-mail com uma foto tirada por alguém da Espanha, onde se lê: "Seu Cristo é judeu, sua escrita é latina, seus números são árabes, sua democracia é grega, seu som é japonês, sua bola é coreana, seu DVD é de Hong Kong, sua camisa é da Tailândia, seus melhores jogadores de futebol são do Brasil, seu relógio é suíço, sua pizza é italiana. E você ainda vê o trabalhador imigrante como um depreciável estrangeiro?” Puxa... Aquilo me fez realmente pensar.

Outro dia, me dei conta de que estava sendo extremamente racista. Meu filho me falou sobre algumas pessoas que estavam constantemente fazendo festas no estacionamento do apartamento onde ele mora. Já que conheço o lugar e sei que está longe de ser num bairro bom, perguntei se as pessoas eram negras. Meu filho ficou furioso comigo por supor que as pessoas eram negras só porque eram barulhentas. Acabei ficando com vergonha de mim mesma, porque meu filho tinha razão.

Sendo brasileira e morando nos Estados Unidos, muitas vezes enfrento preconceitos. Fico muito ofendida quando me maltratam por causa da minha aparência ou maneira de falar. Para mim, não há nada pior do que ser considerada ignorante ou burra só porque falo com sotaque. No entanto, apesar de eu enfrentar preconceitos, ainda tenho preconceito de outras raças.

Estava ouvindo uma palestra do famoso espírita brasileiro Divaldo Franco em que ele dizia que somos todos iguais. Ricos e pobres, brancos e negros, cristãos e muçulmanos, homens e mulheres... Os espíritas acreditam que vivemos muitas vidas, sempre vindo a este mundo para aprender a melhorar a nós mesmos. Podemos ser ricos nesta vida e pobres numa outra, dependendo da lição que precisamos aprender. Por isso, devemos tratar a todos da mesma maneira.

Mas é tão difícil... Agora que estou casada com um americano, entendo melhor sobre os choques culturais. Meu marido acha difícil aceitar meu jeito de paparicar meus filhos, como a maioria das mães brasileiras, enquanto eu tenho dificuldade de aceitar a maneira como ele presume que seus filhos devem ser deixados em paz para viver sua própria vida. Se duas pessoas que se amam têm dificuldade em aceitar os valores um do outro, o que dizer de países com conjuntos de valores tão diferentes?

Não é fácil estar aberto a novas ideias. Espero que a nova geração que está crescendo na era da Internet, na qual pessoas de todo o mundo interagem, se torne mais tolerante com outras culturas. Talvez esteja na hora de todos nós reconhecermos que somos todos seres humanos e tratarmos uns aos outros como iguais.

Photo: Internet unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment