Monday, July 26, 2010

Curiosity Killed The Cat (A curiosidade matou o gato)


Nobody knows for sure where the expression “Curiosity killed the cat” originated. The earliest printed reference to the proverb is attributed to the British playwright Ben Jonson in his 1598 play, Every Man in His Humour, which was performed first by William Shakespeare. “...Helter skelter, hang sorrow, care will kill a cat, up-tails all, and a pox on the hangman.” In this context, “Care" meant "worry" or "sorrow." This proverb is still in use today to warn against being too curious lest one come to harm.

I never understood why people should not be curious. Being a person who loves to ask questions, I always thought that one needed to ask questions in order to learn. What was the point of keeping my mouth shut when I didn’t understand something? How would I find out an answer for an unspoken question?

My curiosity never was considered a problem while I lived in Brazil, a land of very curious people. There, perfect strangers will ask you questions and want to discuss private matters with you a few minutes after meeting. I always thought that this was perfectly normal. Then, I moved to the US where almost everybody seems to make a point of not asking personal questions.

Since I moved here, the lack of curiosity in Americans never fails to astonish me. I speak English with a very heavy accent. However, I can count on my fingers the number of people who ask me where I come from, or the ones who, knowing that I am Brazilian, want to know something about my country. There is never a question about the political situation of my country, the climate, the violence, the beauty… There are no questions at all.

I was beginning to believe that only my Brazilian friends and I, who probably are considered very nosy by Americans, had noticed the lack of curiosity in this country. I was surprised when, reading the book “My Several Worlds”, an autobiography of the American author Pearl Buck published in 1954, I came across an entire paragraph dedicated to this subject. The author, who spent large part of her life in China, comments “One thing I could not understand and do not yet and this was the apparent lack of interest or curiosity in Americans about other countries and other peoples. I remember my wonder that my college mates never asked me about China, or what the people there ate and how they lived and whether China was like our country…” Pearl Buck continues to expand on the lack of curiosity of Americans, also observed by her father when he came back from China to the States, and mentions an instance when she was giving a talk in New York about modern problems facing China. When the time for questions came, the only person who wanted to ask something asked her if the chop suey eaten in Chinese restaurants in New York was really a Chinese dish…

When I traveled to Thailand and Peru, I was delighted to find so many people asking me about Brazil. I lived in France, where questions were also considered normal. I heard that the Chinese are an extremely curious people. Why is it that the Americans seem to be interested only in their own lives, in their own country? My husband, who is American, tells me that people here are afraid of prying into other people’s lives. I wonder if the reason for the lack of questions is also not related to the individualism of people in the States. So far, I have not found an explanation and, being curious, of course I keep asking….

A CURIOSIDADE MATOU O GATO

Ninguém sabe ao certo onde a expressão "A curiosidade matou o gato" se originou. A mais antiga referência impressa ao provérbio é atribuída ao dramaturgo britânico Ben Jonson em sua peça de 1598, “Cada um com seu humor”, que foi encenada primeiro por William Shakespeare. "... “...Helter skelter, hang sorrow, care will kill a cat, up-tails all, and a pox on the hangman.." Neste contexto, "Care" significava "preocupação e tristeza ". Ainda hoje se usa muito esse provérbio para alertar alguém contra a curiosidade excessiva que dizem ser prejudicial.

Nunca entendi por que as pessoas não devem ser curiosas. Sendo uma pessoa que adora fazer perguntas, sempre pensei que precisaria fazer perguntas para aprender. Qual era a graça de manter minha boca fechada quando eu não entendia alguma coisa? Como iria achar a resposta para uma pergunta que não tinha sido feita?

Minha curiosidade nunca foi considerada um problema quando eu morava no Brasil, uma terra de gente muito curiosa. Lá, perfeitos estranhos fazem perguntas e querem discutir assuntos íntimos com você alguns minutos depois de conhecê-la. Sempre pensei que isso era perfeitamente normal. Então, me mudei para os EUA onde quase todo mundo parece se empenhar em não fazer perguntas pessoais.

Desde que cheguei aqui, a falta de curiosidade dos americanos nunca deixou de me espantar. Falo inglês com o maior sotaque. No entanto, posso contar nos dedos o número de pessoas que me perguntam de onde sou, ou aquelas que, sabendo que eu sou brasileira, querem saber algo sobre o Brasil. Nunca me perguntam sobre a situação política do meu país, o clima, a violência, a beleza ... Simplesmente não me fazem perguntas.

Estava começando a achar que só eu e os meus amigos brasileiros, que provavelmente somos considerados muito intrometidos pelos americanos, notavam a falta de curiosidade neste país. Fiquei surpresa quando, ao ler o livro "Meus vários mundos", uma autobiografia da autora americana Pearl Buck publicada em 1954, me deparei com um parágrafo inteiro dedicado a este assunto. A autora, que passou grande parte de sua vida na China, comenta: “Uma coisa que eu não conseguia entender e ainda não consigo é a aparente falta de interesse ou curiosidade dos americanos sobre outros países e outros povos. Lembro-me de como ficava espantada ao constatar que meus colegas de faculdade nunca me perguntavam sobre a China, o que as pessoas comiam e como viviam lá, e se a China era como o nosso país..." Pearl Buck continua a discutir a falta de curiosidade dos americanos, também observada pelo seu pai quando voltou da China para os Estados Unidos. Ela lembra um dia quando estava dando uma palestra em Nova York sobre os problemas enfrentados pela China moderna e, na hora das perguntas, a única pessoa que perguntou algo queria saber se o chop suey comido nos restaurantes chineses em Nova York era realmente um prato chinês ...

Quando viajei para a Tailândia e para o Peru, fiquei muito feliz de encontrar tanta gente me perguntando coisas sobre o Brasil. Morei na França, onde as perguntas são consideradas normais. Ouvi dizer que os chineses são um povo muito curioso. Por que os americanos parecem estar interessados apenas em suas próprias vidas, no seu próprio país? Meu marido, que é americano, diz que as pessoas aqui têm medo de se intrometer na vida dos outros. Fico pensando se a razão para a falta de perguntas também não está relacionada ao individualismo do povo americano. Até agora, não encontrei uma explicação e, sendo curiosa, é claro que continuo a perguntar....

Photograph by Bernadete Piassa: Windy in the bathtub (Windy na banheira)

No comments:

Post a Comment