Sunday, July 4, 2010

The Courage To Say “No” – A coragem de dizer “não”


Last week, while my son was visiting me for just a few days, he complained because I wasn’t cooking anything he wanted. I told him I was busy working and I couldn’t do everything he wanted. In other words, I said “no”. Later, a lady at work asked me to do something that I didn’t think I needed to do and I said “no” to her. On both occasions, I was totally right but I felt really bad about saying “no”.

Why is it that we, women, have such a hard time saying no? Are we supposed to say “yes” all the time, even when we are tired, overworked, when we feel that people are exploiting us, when we have all the right in the world to refuse the extra work?

A few days ago, I was talking with a friend of mine who I admire a lot. She is by far the most intelligent person in her family. She was born with a mathematician’s mind and can calculate percentages in her mind that it would take minutes for a “normal” human being to figure out with a calculator. She has a wonderful job, and supports her family by herself… However, when her ex-husband, who is far from being as accomplished as she, commanded her to go to his house to discuss their daughter’s problems, she agreed immediately, afraid of saying no, even though she didn’t want to go and knew that she would have nothing to lose if she didn’t meet him. Why was that? I asked myself. And, the reason I asked myself, was because I have to admit that, like her, I am constantly saying “yes” when I should say “no”.

We, women, are raised to please. We grow up with the idea that we have to make everybody around us happy, comfortable, and satisfied. On the weekends, we find the men in our family relaxing while we run around cooking, shopping, cleaning, making our family feel welcome, relaxed, while we are tense, exhausted.

I read somewhere that it takes a woman half the time that it takes a man to answer an email. We women can’t bear with the idea that someone is waiting for us. On the other hand, a man is in command of his destiny. Accustomed to the role of master, he wouldn’t think twice about leaving someone waiting for his reply. Then, I imagine the times when a woman needs to ask someone else for a favor. She hesitates, struggles, afraid to bother another person. When she finally asks for what she needs, she is nervous. If she gets the favor, she is so thankful. As for the men, well, most of them would ask in a minute for what they need and, once they get it, very seldom would say “thank you”.

What makes us women so different? I don’t know. I see my daughters following in my footsteps and trying to please their companions. I wonder why we are like that. I wish a man would answer me but they would most likely say that I am just complaining or thinking too much…

A CORAGEM DE DIZER "NÃO"

Semana passada, enquanto meu filho passava uns dias me visitando, ele reclamou que eu não estava cozinhando nada que ele queria. Eu lhe disse que estava ocupada e não podia fazer tudo para ele. Em outras palavras, eu disse "não". Mais tarde, uma senhora do trabalho me pediu para fazer algo que eu não achava que era minha obrigação e eu disse "não". Nas duas ocasiões, eu estava totalmente certa mas me senti péssima por dizer "não".

Por que nós, mulheres, temos tanta dificuldade de dizer não? Será que devemos dizer "sim" o tempo todo, mesmo quando estamos cansadas, sobrecarregadas, quando sentimos que as pessoas estão nos explorando, quando temos todo o direito do mundo de recusar o trabalho extra?

Há alguns dias, eu estava conversando com uma amiga minha que admiro muito. Ela é sem dúvida a pessoa mais inteligente da família. Nasceu com a mente de um matemático e pode calcular porcentagens na cabeça que iria levar alguns minutos para um ser humano “normal” calcular usando uma calculadora. Ela tem um trabalho maravilhoso e sustenta a família sozinha ... No entanto, quando seu ex-marido, que está longe de ser tão bem-sucedido quanto ela, “mandou” que ela fosse a casa dele para discutir os problemas da filha deles, ela concordou imediatamente, com medo de dizer não, mesmo que não quisesse ir e sabia que não teria nada a perder se não fosse lá. Por quê? Eu me perguntei. E a razão pela qual eu me perguntei isso, tenho de admitir, é porque, como ela, estou constantemente dizendo "sim" quando deveria dizer "não".

Nós, mulheres, somos criadas para agradar. Crescemos com a ideia de que temos de fazer com que todos a nossa volta sejam felizes, sintam-se confortáveis e satisfeitos. Nos fins de semana, deixamos os homens da nossa família relaxando enquanto trabalhamos na cozinha, fazemos compras, limpamos a casa, nos escravizando para que nossa família se sinta bem-vinda, relaxada, enquanto estamos tensas, exaustas.

Li em algum lugar que uma mulher leva a metade do tempo para responder a um email que um homem leva. Nós, mulheres, não suportamos a ideia de deixar alguém nos esperando. Por outro lado, um homem está no comando de seu destino. Acostumado com o papel de mestre, não pensa duas vezes em deixar alguém esperando por sua resposta. Agora imagine só quando uma mulher precisa pedir a alguém um favor. Ela hesita, agoniza interiormente, com medo de incomodar outra pessoa. Quando finalmente pede o que precisa, fica nervosa. Se recebe o favor, sente-se tão grata.... Quanto aos homens, bem, a maioria deles pediria num minuto o que precisam e, uma vez que recebessem o favor, raramente diriam "obrigado".

O que faz com que nós mulheres sejamos tão diferentes? Não sei. Vejo as minhas filhas seguindo meus passos e tentando agradar a seus companheiros. E me pergunto por que somos assim. Gostaria que um homem me respondesse, mas provavelmente ele diria que eu reclamo demais ou penso demais ...

1 comment:

  1. If it is so difficult for a woman to ask for help, why do women ask for directions much more frequently than men. After all, a man will wait until he is hopelessly lost before asking directions...

    ReplyDelete