Thursday, December 17, 2009

Millions Of Christmas Balls (Um milhão de bolas de Natal)


Everyday when I wake up and go downstairs to the kitchen, I stop at the living room to collect at least two Christmas ornaments that are on the floor. I know very well that I didn’t leave them there the night before, and I also remember hearing sounds of Christmas balls being kicked around the living room before I fell to sleep. But the only possible individual responsible for grabbing the balls from the tree and playing with them as if he were on a soccer field, isn’t saying anything. While I bend down for the millionth time to pick up the balls and hang them again on the tree, he just looks at me with very innocent eyes and immediately starts meowing because, after all, it is time for his breakfast. Besides, my cat never confesses his sins.

When I was assembling the Christmas tree, I knew that this would happen. Every year is the same. I hang the balls and my cat gets them to play. I put water under the tree in a bowl, so it won't get dry. But guess who goes and drinks the water? For my cat, Christmas means only that he gets two new toys: the water for the tree and the balls.

And what does Christmas mean to me? The other day, when I was assembling the tree, I was thinking about the millions of people who, at that moment, were probably doing the same. We all complain if we have to spend two hours stuck in traffic or waiting for a doctor’s appointment. However, we are glad to spend two or more hours hanging very fragile Christmas ornaments, with all the patience in the world. If we were to add up all the hours that everybody who decorates a Christmas tree spends in this task yearly, how many hours would it total? But we don’t complain about spending these hours this way. This is, after all, a work of love.

Even though Christmas is a time for shopping and partying, it never fails to amaze me how many people stop their busy lives and, at least for a few days, decide to do some works of love. I remember a very mean manager from a company for which I worked who, one year, bought a bicycle for a poor kid. After I saw what she had done, I started to see her in a different way. I also learned everybody has something good inside, even though we might think the opposite.

For me, Christmas is a time for celebration; a time to think about people who I haven’t seen in a while and send them Christmas cards; a time to be thankful for what I have and try to share at least something with the ones who have not; a time to think about the Good and forget about the Bad in the world. After all, we have the rest of the year to worry about bad things.

My cat, of course, probably thinks that Christmas is just a time to drive me nuts with his games. I wonder if he would stop his games if I were to give him a very small mouse for Christmas.

UM MILHÃO DE BOLAS DE NATAL
Todos os dias quando acordo e desço até a cozinha, paro na sala de jantar e vejo, no mínimo, dois enfeites de Natal no chão. Sei muito bem que não os deixei lá na noite anterior, e também me lembro que antes de dormir tinha ouvido barulhos de bolas de Natal sendo chutadas pela sala. Mas o único possível responsável por pegar as bolas e brincar com elas, como se estivesse num campo de futebol, não abre a boca pra dizer nada. Enquanto me abaixo pela milionésima vez para pegar as bolas e pendurá-las novamente na árvore, ele apenas me olha com olhos inocentes e imediatamente começa a miar porque, afinal, está na hora do seu café da manhã. Além disso, meu gato nunca confessa seus pecados.

Enquanto montava a árvore de Natal, já sabia que isso ia acontecer. Todo ano é a mesma coisa. Penduro as bolas na árvore e meu gato as tira de lá para brincar. Pus uma vasilha com água embaixo da árvore para ela não se ressecar, mas adivinhe quem vai lá e bebe a água? Para o meu gato, o Natal significa apenas que ele tem dois novos brinquedos: a água da árvore e as bolas.

E o que o Natal significa para mim? No outro dia, quando estava montando a árvore, pensei sobre milhões de pessoas que, naquele momento, também estavam provavelmente fazendo o mesmo. Nós nos queixamos se temos de passar duas horas engarrafadas no trânsito ou à espera de uma consulta médica. No entanto, temos prazer em passar duas ou mais horas pendurando enfeites de Natal muito frágeis, com toda a paciência do mundo. Se fôssemos somar todas as horas que todos que decoram árvores de Natal gastam anualmente nesta tarefa, quantas horas teríamos? Mas não reclamamos de passar essas horas desta forma. Este é, afinal, um trabalho de amor.

Mesmo que o Natal seja uma época de compras e festas, nunca deixo de me surpreender com o número de pessoas que interrompem suas vidas normalmente tão ocupadas e, pelo menos por alguns dias, decidem fazer um trabalho de amor. Numa empresa em que eu trabalhava antes, tinha uma gerente muito maldosa que, um ano, comprou uma bicicleta para uma criança pobre. Depois que vi o que ela havia feito, passei a encará-la de uma maneira diferente. Aprendi também que todo mundo tem algo de bom, mesmo quando vemos somente o lado ruim dessa pessoa.

Para mim, o Natal é um tempo de celebração; tempo para pensar sobre as pessoas que não vejo há tempos e enviar-lhes cartões de Natal; tempo para ser grata pelo que tenho e tentar compartilhar pelo menos alguma coisa com os que não têm; tempo de pensar sobre o bem e esquecer as maldades do mundo. Afinal, temos o resto do ano para nos preocupar com coisas ruins.

Meu gato, é claro, provavelmente pensa que o Natal é apenas um tempo para me deixar maluca com suas brincadeiras. Será que ele pararia com essas bagunças se eu lhe desse um ratinho de presente de Natal?

No comments:

Post a Comment