Thursday, December 3, 2009

Language Lessons (Lições de linguagem)


The lady who is interviewing me for the position of Portuguese language instructor asks what, in my opinion, is most difficult about learning a language. I am not sure but since I need to answer something (and fast!) I get into this detailed explanation about how the difficulties vary depending on the language. With English, I say, the difficult part is understanding prepositions. For someone learning Portuguese, I suggest the biggest problem is that every word is either feminine or masculine.

Once I leave the interview and get to the train station, I have time to ponder the question and I realize that, at least in my opinion, the trickiest part for someone learning a foreign language is to pronounce words that have sounds not used in the person’s mother tongue. When I was learning English, it was almost impossible for me to say “squirrel” since a Portuguese speaker is not used to the way one needs to curve his tongue and lips to pronounce the word. For an American, to say tomorrow in Portuguese -“amanhã” – might present big difficulties since the nasal sound of the word doesn’t exist in the English language.

At the train station, there is a group of people speaking Russian and two students chatting in Chinese. I am tempted to ask what was the biggest challenge they had to face to learn English. However, I am sure that each one of them would give me a different answer.

I started to think about the traps that we encounter when learning or teaching a language last week. Marcelo, a Brazilian poet, asked me for tips about learning English in Brazil without enrolling in English classes. It took me awhile to give him an answer because I wasn’t sure of what to say. Of course I could recommend that he listen to tapes, watch TV, read books, etc. But I finally came to the conclusion that, since motivation is the key to learning anything and since he is a poet, he would do much better by going to the Internet, to YouTube (www.youtube.com) and look for the poets he likes. If he enjoys the poems of the English poet Rudyard Kipling, he can follow the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK4HDCIr_E8&feature=related
There, Kipling reads his famous poem “If” while the screen shows the words in English.

I can’t think of a more beautiful way to learn English than listening to Kipling reading:

“If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you…
…If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same;
…Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And–which is more–you’ll be a Man, my son!”


LIÇÕES DE LINGUAGEM

A senhora que está me entrevistando para o cargo de professora de português me pergunta qual é a maior dificuldade para alguém aprender outro idioma. Não tenho certeza, mas já que preciso responder alguma coisa (e rápido!) embarco numa explicação detalhada sobre como as dificuldades variam de acordo com o idioma. Com o inglês, explico, a parte difícil é entender as preposições. O fato de cada palavra ser feminina ou masculina pode ser problemático para uma pessoa de outro país aprender português.

Depois que saio da entrevista e chego à estação de trem, tenho mais tempo para pensar na pergunta e chego à conclusão de que, pelo menos na minha opinião, a parte mais complicada para alguém aprender uma língua estrangeira é pronunciar as palavras que têm sons que não são usados na língua materna da pessoa. Quando eu estava aprendendo inglês, era quase impossível eu dizer "esquilo", já que quando falamos português não curvamos a língua e os lábios para pronunciar as palavras. Para um americano, dizer “amanhã” em português é muito dificil já que o som nasal não existe no idioma inglês.

Na estação de trem, há um grupo de pessoas falando russo e dois alunos conversando em chinês. Fico tentada a perguntar qual foi o maior desafio que tiveram de enfrentar para aprender inglês. Tenho certeza de que cada um deles me daria uma resposta diferente.

Comecei a pensar sobre as ciladas que encontramos ao aprender ou ensinar uma língua, desde a semana passada, quando Marcelo, um poeta brasileiro, me pediu algumas dicas sobre como aprender inglês no Brasil, sem se inscrever num curso. Levei algum tempo para lhe dar uma resposta porque não tinha certeza do que dizer. Claro que poderia recomendar que ele ouvisse tapes, assistisse televisão, lesse livros, etc. Mas finalmente cheguei à conclusão de que, uma vez que a motivação é a condição fundamental para se aprender qualquer coisa e já que Marcelo é um poeta, ele se daria muito melhor se procurasse na internet, no site do YouTube (www.youtube.com) os poetas que gosta. Se gosta das poesias do poeta inglês Joseph Rudyard Kipling, ele pode seguir o link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK4HDCIr_E8&feature=related

Lá, Kipling lê seu famoso poema "Se", enquanto a tela mostra os versos em inglês.

Não consigo imaginar uma forma mais bonita de aprender inglês do que ouvindo a leitura de Kipling:

" Se podes conservar o teu bom senso e a calma
Num mundo a delirar, para quem o louco és tu. …
…Se podes encarar com indiferença igual
O triunfo e a derrota, eternos impostores!
…Sua é a Terra e tudo que está nela,
E o que é mais, serás um HOMEM meu filho!”

1 comment:

  1. Devidamente, buscar o aprendizado requer sacrifício. Embora saiba que a terra para ser o que é hoje reteve em seu seio muita paciência, e gota à gota moldou a rocha. Grão a grão de areia elevou as montanhas; meu espírito de busca não é diferente.
    Ousarei o que for preciso para me aprimorar neste idioma. Encontrarei formas de construir o aprendizado da lingua com esta dica. Muito obrigado!

    ReplyDelete