Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The Art of Patience (A arte da paciência)


When I moved to the US 25 years ago, I learned English reading books for children that I took from the library where I went with my kids. When my husband decided to learn Portuguese, I thought that nothing would make more sense than teaching him with children’s books. Now, almost every night, we get the book “Lúcia Já-Vou Indo”, from the Brazilian author Maria Heloísa Penteado, and read at least one page of it. The story of the book could not be more appropriate: it is about a small slug that is invited for a party under the Passion Fruit tree, but because she is so slow, she is bound to be late. Or is she not? With the same difficulty and persistence of the slug, my husband is improving his Portuguese. As for me, I am learning the art of patience.

I think I wasn’t ever a good teacher. I am too impatient to wait for someone to learn at his own pace. Even when I am the one doing the learning, I am impatient because I have high expectations for myself. It is funny that we are always telling children that they should be patient. But aren’t we adults even more impatient?
Lately, I have had many occasions to practice my patience (or lack of it.) First, there are the Portuguese classes with my husband. He is doing a wonderful job of learning the language. But, of course, I wish he would learn faster.

Aside that, there is the current job situation in the US. It seems that as the economy deteriorates, people get more and more afraid of losing their jobs. As a consequence, professionals who used to be polite to each other, now behave like adversaries. They compete with each other to impress their bosses and avoid getting fired, or make unreasonable demands from their employees to get things done faster and for less cost. In this environment, where unfairness became the norm, the art of patience became even more important. And how difficult it is, to admit to a mistake that one didn’t do to calm an angry boss who wants only to be considered right at any costs…

I am also learning to be patient because of my leg. Since I hurt it a few weeks ago, I have to walk slowly, keep it propped up more, and I just can’t exercise much. It is very hard to do all these things without despairing that the leg won’t ever heal.

I read somewhere that cultivating the art of patience increases feelings of happiness and reduces stress and anxiety. Most things worth having take time to obtain – they take patience. Patience is a practice that requires constant awareness and commitment. Real patience calls for the courage to let life unfold at its own pace and reveal itself to you. Patience requires tolerance. It also requires accepting the faults of other people as well as our own.

In a world so rushed like ours, where emails are supposed to be answered immediately, everybody needs to be glued to their cellular all the time, and we are expected to multi-task since doing just one thing is not good enough anymore, the art of patience is becoming a lost one. However, by practicing it we become less angry and less demanding. Sometimes, it is important to stop everything, go outside, and learn a lesson with nature. After all, isn’t nature always teaching us that the seasons come and go to their own rhythm?

A ARTE DA PACIÊNCIA

Quando me mudei para os EUA há 25 anos, aprendi inglês lendo livros infantis da biblioteca aonde eu ia com meus filhos. Quando meu marido decidiu aprender português, pensei que nada seria melhor do que ensinar-lhe lendo livros infantis. Agora, quase todas as noites, pegamos o livro "Lúcia Já-Vou indo", da escritora brasileira Maria Heloísa Penteado, e lemos pelo menos uma página. A história não poderia ser mais apropriada: é a respeito de uma lesminha que é convidada para uma festa embaixo da árvore de maracujá, mas por ser tão lenta, está fadada a chegar atrasada. Ou será que não? Com a mesma dificuldade e persistência da lesminha, meu marido está aprendendo português. Quanto a mim, estou aprendendo a arte da paciência.

Acho que nunca fui uma boa professora. Sou muito impaciente para esperar alguém aprender no seu próprio ritmo. Mesmo quando sou eu quem está aprendendo, me impaciento porque tenho grande expectativa em relação a mim mesma. É engraçado que sempre dizemos para as crianças que elas devem ser pacientes. Mas será que nós, adultos, não somos ainda mais impacientes?

Ultimamente, tenho tido muitas ocasiões para praticar a minha paciência (ou falta dela). Primeiro, há as aulas de português com meu marido. Ele está aprendendo super bem, mas é claro que eu gostaria que ele aprendesse ainda mais rápido.

Além disso, há a situação atual de emprego nos EUA. Parece que quanto mais a economia se deteriora, mais as pessoas têm medo de perder seu emprego. Como consequência, os profissionais que costumavam ser educados uns com os outros, agora se comportam como adversários. Competem para impressionar os chefes e não serem demitidos, ou exigem coisas demais dos empregados para que tudo seja feito mais rápido e mais barato. Nesse ambiente, onde a injustiça se tornou a norma, a arte da paciência acaba sendo ainda mais importante. E como é duro admitir um erro que não se cometeu só para acalmar um chefe irritado que se considera certo o tempo todo...

Também estou aprendendo a ser paciente por causa da minha perna. Desde que alguma coisa aconteceu com ela há algumas semanas, tenho que andar devagar, mantê-la elevada a maior parte do tempo, e não posso fazer muito exercício. É muito difícil fazer todas essas coisas e não se desesperar, pensando que a perna não vai ficar boa nunca mais.

Li em algum lugar que cultivar a arte da paciência aumenta a felicidade, reduz o stress e a ansiedade. A maioria das coisas importantes leva um tempo para se obter – precisa de paciência. Paciência é uma prática que exige atenção constante e dedicação. Paciência de verdade requer coragem para deixar a vida se desenvolver no seu próprio ritmo e se revelar a você. Paciência também exige tolerância. Exige que as pessoas aceitem os defeitos dos outros e as nossas próprias falhas.

Em um mundo tão apressado como o nosso, onde e-mails devem ser respondidos de imediato, onde todo mundo precisa ficar colado no celular o tempo todo, e esperam que façamos milhões de coisas juntas, porque fazer uma coisa de cada vez não é mais suficiente, a arte da paciência está se perdendo. No entanto, ao praticá-la nos tornamos menos irritados e menos exigentes. Seria importante às vezes parar tudo por um minutinho apenas e ir lá fora, aprender uma lição com a natureza. Afinal, a natureza não nos ensina que as estações vão e vêm no seu próprio ritmo?

Photo: Bernadete Piassa

1 comment:

  1. Oi, Dete!
    Me identifiquei 100% com esse trecho: "I think I wasn’t ever a good teacher. I am too impatient to wait for someone to learn at his own pace. Even when I am the one doing the learning, I am impatient because I have high expectations for myself."
    Com 2 filhos pequenos, tenho que exercitar a paciência todos os dias... e acabo por falhar invariavelmente.
    Mas sigo tentando.
    Bjs

    ReplyDelete