Tuesday, May 11, 2010

New York (Nova York)



I am waiting for my train to leave New York. Once it departs, it will take me only 82 minutes to get to the train station close to my house in Newtown, PA. I came here early in the morning, and by 3:30pm I should be back home. The trip doesn’t take long but it feels like Newtown and New York are an ocean apart.

I have mixed feelings regarding New York. I lived here for 5 years so the city feels very familiar to me. It was in New York that my son was born, my younger daughter took her first steps, my oldest daughter went to school for the first time. My ex-husband and I arrived here from Brazil with 5 suitcases and a lot of dreams. We left our house in Sao Paulo and most of our belongings. We were here to start a new life.

I guess the first lesson that I learned in New York was humility. In Brazil, I was a journalist, someone who knew how to behave in most situations. In NY I was just a woman who looked Spanish, almost didn’t speak English, didn’t know the rules of the place, and didn’t have money. I figured out very soon how the poor and illiterate in Brazil must have felt when they were mistreated by people who were better off than they…

I was walking in the city today, thinking about all these things. All the while, I was admiring the women dressed so fashionably, the yellow taxis and red buses with tourists, the million bulletin boards flashing their messages to passersby on the streets. So many things seemed to be happening at the same time… There were the street vendors selling the most unusual merchandises like sheets made with Egyptian cotton, teenagers giving out samples of orange juice, some sort of celebration for National Train Day (My God, who have ever heard about that?) and, of course, tourists from all over the world.

I passed Times Square and mused about the Pakistani who had left a bomb there last week. Why had he done that? One simple question with so many complicate answers… The people sitting at the square didn’t seem worried about what had happened and were just enjoying the sunny day. I also enjoyed it, not aware that, one hour earlier, the police had evacuated and shut down the place because of two suspicious packages. Later, it turned out that the packages contained only bottled water and books.

When I was crossing Times Square, I was trying to find some pigeons to photograph. I have this very interesting cousin who is an excellent photographer and takes pictures of pigeons from all over the world. But the pigeons from New York know better than to be in Times Square in the middle of all the noise and commotion…

All the excitement that I encounter in New York always ends up making me tired. I love being here for awhile, but love it even more when I am back home. I couldn’t live anymore in a city where there is so much happening in the streets, so many temptations, that it is difficult to pay attention to what happens inside ourselves.

My train is departing now. Soon, I will be home. If the mailman is done with his nap, which he takes everyday sitting in his truck, after delivering my mail and proceeding to his next stop, I will go get the mail. Birds will be singing, kids will be riding their bikes, and my house will be quiet as always. My cat will open one eye to welcome me and go back to do what he does best: sleep. Life in the suburbs can be very calming.

NOVA YORK

Estou esperando que meu trem saia de Nova York. Depois que ele sair, em apenas 82 minutos estarei na estação perto da minha casa em Newtown, no estado da Pensilvânia. Cheguei aqui hoje cedo. Lá pelas três e meia devo estar de volta em casa. A viagem não demora muito, mas às vezes acho que Newtown e Nova York estão separadas por um oceano...

Meus sentimentos a respeito de Nova York são contraditórios. Morei aqui cinco anos e sinto como se a cidade fosse uma velha conhecida. Foi em Nova York que meu filho nasceu, minha filha mais nova deu seus primeiros passos, minha filha mais velha foi à escola pela primeira vez. Meu ex-marido e eu chegamos do Brasil com cinco malas e um monte de sonhos. Deixamos nossa casa em São Paulo e a maioria dos nossos pertences. Estávamos dispostos a iniciar uma nova vida.

Acho que a primeira lição que aprendi em Nova York foi ser humilde. No Brasil, eu trabalhava como jornalista, era alguém que sabia como me comportar na maioria das situações. Em NY me tornei apenas uma mulher Latina, que quase não falava inglês, não sabia as regras do lugar, e não tinha dinheiro. Logo me dei conta de como os pobres e analfabetos no Brasil deviam se sentir quando eram maltratados por pessoas em melhor situação do que eles...

Estava andando pela cidade hoje, pensando em todas essas coisas. Ao mesmo tempo, admirava as mulheres chiquérrimas, os táxis amarelos e os ônibus vermelhos com turistas, os milhões de anúncios luminosos brilhando nas ruas. Tantas coisas pareciam estar acontecendo ao mesmo tempo... Havia vendedores ambulantes vendendo mercadorias suis generis como lençóis de algodão egípcio, adolescentes distribuindo amostras grátis de suco de laranja, uma espécie de comemoração pelo Dia Nacional do trem (quem já ouviu falar disso, meu Deus?) e, claro, turistas de todo o mundo.

Passei numa praça chamada Times Square e pensei sobre o paquistanês que tentou explodir uma bomba lá na semana passada. Por que ele teria feito aquilo? Uma pergunta simples, com tantas respostas complicadas... As pessoas sentadas na praça não pareciam preocupadas com o que tinha acontecido e estavam apenas curtindo o dia ensolarado. Eu também tentei curti-lo, sem saber que, uma hora mais cedo, a polícia havia evacuado e fechado o lugar por causa de dois pacotes suspeitos. Mais tarde, descobriu-se que os pacotes continham apenas garrafas de água e livros.

Quando atravessava o Times Square, tentei achar alguns pombos para fotografar. Tenho um primo muito interessante que é um excelente fotógrafo e tira fotos de pombos de todo o mundo. Mas os pombos de Nova York são malandros e evitam o Times Square, com toda aquela confusão e barulho...

A agitação de Nova York sempre acaba me deixando cansada. Adoro vir passear aqui, mas gosto ainda mais de voltar para casa. Não podia mais viver numa cidade onde há tanta coisa acontecendo nas ruas, tantas tentações, que é quase impossível prestar atenção ao nosso mundo interior.

Meu trem está partindo agora. Em breve, chegarei em casa. Se o carteiro já tiver dado sua dormidinha, o que ele geralmente faz sentado em seu caminhão, depois de deixar minhas cartas e seguir para a sua próxima parada, vou pegar minha correspondência. Os passarinhos estarão cantando, as crianças estarão andando de bicicleta, e minha casa estará tranquila como sempre. Meu gato abrirá apenas um olho para me receber e voltará a fazer o que ele faz de melhor: dormir. A vida nos subúrbios é muito calma.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Não vejo a hora de rever o sossego dos suburbios da Philadélphia e a agitação de Nova York. Mas ler essa crônica já foi como estar aí um pouquinho.
    Bjs

    ReplyDelete