Sunday, March 7, 2010

A FAR AWAY FARM (Uma fazenda distante)



About 10 days ago, my sister and her friend went to his farm. I am worried about her, but there is nothing I can do. I am aware that I will hear from her only at the end of the month, when they come back to Corumbá, Brazil, where they live. There are no roads connecting the farm to any town. To get there, they took a boat and traveled three days up the Paraguay River, going deeper and deeper into the swampy region. The farm where they went is powered by solar energy so the TV works only 2 hours a day. There are no telephones or computers. No neighbors are close by. People on the farm go to bed early and wake up early.

Today I went to a bookstore with my son. On my way back, I saw a bunch of street signs on a crossroad very close to where I live. Whenever I get to that intersection, I get confused. There are signs for route 532 south, 532 north, 413 north, 413 south, 332 east, 332 west, for I95 and for S.Mary hospital. My God, where should I go? So many choices… I think about my sister at the farm, in the middle of nowhere, and just imagine the peace of mind that one might feel in a place where no one is rushed to make decisions all the time, where “hurry” is a foreign word because there is no other place to be, and the day starts with a rooster crowing to wish everybody good morning….

More and more I ask myself what I am doing on the East coast of the United States, where life moves so fast. Here, the pace is so frantic that it makes me tired. I would like to live in the Southwest, where the days seem to move like a slow sensual dance. Should I pick a cute town, where WallMart has not moved in yet and there is still a main street filled with small business? Should I pick a middle size town, where the rhythm of life is a little bit faster but there are good libraries and good health alternatives? Or should I go back to Brazil, to my home state where the people still don’t go around as if running a mad race and my family would be glad to have me?

I try to imagine where I would be happier. At the same time, I wonder if happiness is not a state of mind, and if maybe I could be as happy here as in the middle of a swamp. Then, I am reminded of a phrase from Frederick Buechner in Telling the Truth, that I read the other day: “You can kiss your family and friends good-bye and put miles between you, but at the same time you carry them with you in your heart, your mind, your stomach, because you do not just live in a world but a world lives in you.”

I don’t know where I should be anymore. I would love to be on a farm. I would love to be in a far away place. Maybe one day the decision of where to go will come naturally for me, after I stop angushing about it.

UMA FAZENDA DISTANTE

Há uns dez dias, minha irmã e um amigo foram para a fazenda dele. Estou preocupada com ela, mas não posso fazer nada. Sei que receberei notícias dela só no fim do mês, quando eles voltarem para Corumbá, no Brasil, onde vivem. Não há estradas ligando a fazenda à qualquer cidade. Para chegar lá, eles tiveram de viajar de barco três dias, subindo o rio Paraguai, se embrenhando cada vez mais na região pantaneira. A fazenda para onde foram só tem energia solar e a TV só funciona 2 horas por dia. Não há telefones ou computadores. Não há vizinhos por perto. Lá, as pessoas vão dormir cedo e acordam cedo.

Hoje eu e meu filho fomos a uma livraria. No caminho de volta, vi um monte de placas de sinalização em uma esquina perto de onde moro. Sempre que chego naquele cruzamento, fico confusa. Há placas para as rodovias 532 sul, 532 norte, 413 norte, 413 sul, 332 leste, 332 oeste, para I95 e o hospital S.Mary. Meu Deus, para onde devo ir? Tantas escolhas ... lembro da minha irmã na fazenda, no meio do nada, e imagino a paz de espírito que se deve sentir em um lugar onde ninguém precisa tomar decisões o tempo todo, onde "pressa" é uma palavra que não se usa porque não há outro lugar para ir, onde ao amanhecer os galos cantam desejando a todos um bom dia ....

Cada vez mais me pergunto o que estou fazendo na costa leste dos Estados Unidos, onde tudo é tão rápido. Aqui, o ritmo é tão frenético que me deixa cansada. Gostaria de morar no sudeste dos EUA, onde os dias parecem mover-se como em uma dança lenta e sensual. Devo ir para uma cidadezinha charmosa na qual WallMart ainda não chegou e ainda há uma rua principal cheia de lojinhas? Devo escolher uma cidade de porte médio, onde a vida passa um pouco mais rápido, mas existem boas bibliotecas e opções de saúde? Ou devo voltar para o Brasil, para meu estado natal, onde as pessoas ainda não correm de um lado para o outro alucinadas e onde minha família ficaria feliz em me receber?

Tento imaginar em que lugar seria mais feliz. Ao mesmo tempo, fico pensando se a felicidade não é um estado de espírito, e se talvez eu pudesse ser tão feliz aqui como no meio do pantanal. Então, lembro-me de uma frase de Frederick Buechner em Dizendo a verdade, que li outro dia: "Você pode dizer adeus para sua família e seus amigos e ir para bem longe, mas você sempre os levará no seu coração, sua mente, seu estômago, pois você não apenas vive no mundo mas o mundo vive em você."

Não sei mais onde eu deveria estar. Gostaria muito de estar em uma fazenda. Gostaria muito de estar em um lugar distante. Talvez um dia a decisão de para onde ir acontecerá naturalmente, depois que eu parar de me angustiar a respeito dela.

No comments:

Post a Comment