Thursday, June 25, 2009

The Swamp Man (O Pantaneiro)


I look at the picture in this post and see that it is fading. The water lost its brightness, and I can barely distinguish the faces of the people in the pickup truck. Time is relentless, always ready to leave its imprint on everything. But time cannot erase my memories, and I remember very well the day that this picture was taken: the swamp hugging us, the birds singing, the feeling of freedom, and the realization that we were nothing compared to the beauty of nature.

That day, my ex-husband and I flew with my uncle from my hometown, Corumba, to visit his farm. When we got there, he offered to take us for a ride. It was the time of the cheia, when the swamp swells and for miles and miles you can see mostly water. My uncle drove the pickup truck on waterlogged fields, over huge puddles, some shallow some very deep. Whenever we got close to a puddle he would wonder: are we going to pass through it? We finally reached one in which we got stuck and had to wait until a tractor would come to fetch us. While we waited, my cousin swam in the swamp, unafraid of fish or alligators.

With my uncle, everything was an adventure. I remember a time when we went to a beach on the north of Rio de Janeiro. My uncle was driving and, from time to time, he would fall asleep. Then he would wake up and say that it was good to sleep: he had been dreaming of Paris… In that same trip, the car broke and we stopped at a gas station. My aunt was tired so she took a mattress from the car and went to sleep inside the gas station. She could be as original as my uncle.

Aside being a farmer, my uncle had a newspaper in my hometown. It was in his newspaper that I worked for the first time in my life as a journalist. I was about 15 years old, and he allowed me to publish a daily column. Sometimes I wrote about the gossips of town, other times I pondered more serious subjects like the Vietnan War that was taking so many lives. The newspaper was old-fashioned: one worker set the types, one character at a time, to imprint the image on paper. We wrote our articles using old typewriters that made a lot of noise and seemed to be always out of ink.

The newspaper was also a place for my uncle to discuss ecology. He was very concerned about the wetland ecosystem and intent on preserving it. He loved and respected the swamp and everything that lived in it.

Later in his life, his farm became a hotel farm, where tourists would go to enjoy all the beauty of the swamp. Whenever someone asked him how many stars his hotel had, he would say that it had a million of stars. My uncle was right. In the sky, there were always a million of stars lighting up his farm and seeming to shine especially for him.

O PANTANEIRO

Olho para a foto que coloquei neste post e me dou conta de que parece meio apagada. As águas do pantanal perderam o brilho, e mal posso distinguir os rostos das pessoas na pickup. O tempo é cruel e está sempre pronto a deixar sua marca. Mas o tempo não consegue obscurecer minhas lembranças, e eu me lembro muito bem do dia em que essa foto foi tirada: o pantanal nos abraçando, os pássaros cantando, a sensação de liberdade, e a constatação de que não somos nada comparados com a beleza da natureza.

Naquele dia, eu, meu ex-marido e meu tio pegamos um avião na minha cidade natal, Corumbá, para visitar a fazenda do meu tio. Quando chegamos lá, ele se ofereceu para nos levar para um passeio. Era a época da cheia, quando o pantanal incha e por milhas e milhas pode-se ver água por toda parte. A pickup passava sobre campos inundados e poças d’água enormes, algumas rasas outras fundas. Sempre que chegávamos perto de uma, meu tio perguntava: será que a gente passa? Finalmente chegamos numa em que ficamos atolados e tivemos de esperar até que um trator viesse nos buscar. Enquanto esperávamos, meu primo resolveu nadar, sem se preocupar com peixes ou jacarés.

Com meu tio, tudo era uma aventura. Lembro-me de uma viagem que fizemos para uma praia no norte do Rio de Janeiro. Meu tio estava dirigindo e, de vez em quando, dava uma dormida. Logo acordava e dizia que tinha sido bom dormir: tinha sonhado com Paris ... Na mesma viagem, o carro estragou e tivemos de parar num posto de gasolina. Minha tia estava cansada e resolveu pegar um colchonete no carro para dormir dentro do posto de gasolina. Ela podia ser tão original quanto meu tio.

Além de ser fazendeiro, meu tio tinha um jornal na minha cidade natal. Foi no seu jornal que trabalhei pela primeira vez na minha vida como jornalista. Eu tinha mais ou menos 15 anos, e ele me deixou publicar uma coluna diária. Às vezes eu escrevia sobre as fofocas da cidade, outras vezes discutia assuntos mais sérios como a guerra do Vietnam que estava matando tanta gente. O jornal era do tipo antigo: um dos funcionários arrumava as letras de metal uma por uma numa placa, que depois era levada para a impressora. Escrevíamos nossos artigos usando máquinas de escrever quase centenárias que faziam muito barulho e pareciam estar sempre sem tinta.

O jornal também era um veículo para meu tio debater sobre ecologia. Ele se preocupava muito com a preservação dos ecossistemas. Adorava e respeitava o pantanal com todos os seus habitantes.

Alguns anos mais tarde, sua fazenda se tornou um hotel fazenda, onde os turistas iam para apreciar a beleza do pantanal. Sempre que alguém lhe perguntava quantas estrelas seu hotel tinha, ele dizia que tinha um milhão de estrelas. Meu tio estava certo. No céu, havia sempre um milhão de estrelas iluminando sua fazenda e parecendo brilhar especialmente para ele.

1 comment:

  1. You strike a nerve when you mention about your thoughts of the Vietnam War. From 1967 through about 1973, I contemplated the Vietnam War from the very Republican house of my parents. Between 1967 and 1969, I allowed (and it was not like there was a choice) the Vietnam War to invade the living room, by way of the television, as my parents and I ate dinner. Here, by the way, I made the acquaintance of Chet Huntley, David Brinkley, Walter Cronkite, Tom Brokaw, and others, who reported on the latest war news with grim smiles. It was palatable in black and white, and shocking in color. It took some time, but eventually I came to oppose this war, and actively participated in many marches and demonstrations against it.

    There were others of my generation who embraced the war, and volunteered to serve in Vietnam. Some 55,000 would not see their mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, wives, sons, daughters, or lovers, cousins, aunts, and uncles again. Many were held prisoner, and many just went missing. I am thankful for the sacrifice of those who did not return filled with the life they left with. I don't believe I disrespected those who went. After all, some of them were my friends.

    I think, now, about all we have seen in the years since Vietnam: the Iron Curtain fell and the Berlin Wall came down. We have seen our nation terrorized, watching, time and again as the World Trade Centers collapsed in a cloud of death and destruction. And, yes, once more war has invaded my living room, leading me to ask: When will it ever end? When will we understand what really matters is being able to walk out into a meadow, look up into the night sky, and see millions and millions of stars, or walk in the woods and see a deer, or a bear, or a cougar, or wolf?

    Your uncle was a very wise man to understand this.

    ReplyDelete