Thursday, December 30, 2010

Resolutions and Hopes (Resoluções e esperanças)


Why is it that the approaching New Year puts everyone in a meditative mood, a time we consider all we accomplished or failed to accomplish during the last 12 months? I always get into this mood at this time of the year, and then I start to wonder how to write about it.

I have already written this blog twice. Two days ago I wrote it when I was shopping and stopped at a Starbucks to have a tall decaf peppermint mocha and a banana cake with walnuts. I felt guilty about this but succeeded in convincing myself that I would re-start my diet on the first day of 2011.  I composed my blog in my mind while I enjoyed that sinfully delicious snack. Yesterday I thought about another post as I drove through Tyler Park and took pictures while I listened to Victor and Leo sing “Deus e Eu no Sertão.” The problem with these mind compositions is that I always forget them when I get home. I have been writing stories in my mind since I can remember and only a few of them end up on a paper or in the computer. 

In this moment of reflection, what I want to say is that I am thankful for everything that this year brought me. First of all, I got married to a wonderful man who made a big difference in my life. My three kids did well in their careers or studies. I made two new friends with whom I will spend the New Year. I did not lose any friends. I learned a lot about spiritism, which led me to understand and accept life in a different way. I started the year unemployed and will end it with a decent amount of consulting work. I was able to publish a short story in a literary magazine in the US and one essay in a literary magazine in Brazil. I went twice to Brazil and had a wonderful time! There were countless blessings… 

Of course, the year brought me some aggravations like the problem with my knee that will require more serious treatment, some battles with depression, some periods of nervousness while I faced the uncertainties of consulting work and so on. But who said that life is supposed to be made only of happy moments? The difficult moments are the ones that teach the most and force us to become better, even though we would rather not experience them. 

Like everybody else, I already made my New Year resolutions and I have a big list:  I want to live in peace which, as everyone knows, is not so simple. I want to pay more attention to my spiritual life. I want to be more patient with everyone around me. And, above all, I want to write more. Writing is my passion and I have decided that, in 2011, I am going to dedicate myself to it. 

I wish to all of you a 2011 full of joy, peace, and beauty! I  hope you will   read some of my writing in 2011.


RESOLUÇÕES E ESPERANÇAS 

Por que o Ano Novo nos deixa num estado de espírito meditativo, pensando no que conseguimos realizar ou não nos últimos 12 meses? Sempre me encontro nesse estado de espírito quando o fim do ano se aproxima, e então começo a pensar a respeito de como escrever sobre ele.

Já escrevi este blog duas vezes. Há dois dias eu o escrevi quando fazia compras e parei numa Starbucks para tomar um café pequeno, sem cafeína, com hortelã e chocolate, acompanhado por um bolo de banana com nozes. Sentindo-me culpada, mas ao mesmo tempo me convencendo de que voltaria à minha dieta no primeiro dia do ano, escrevi meu blog na minha mente enquanto saboreava meu lanche. Ontem pensei num outro post enquanto passeava de carro no parque Tyler, tirando fotos e ouvindo Victor e Leo cantarem "Deus e Eu no Sertão". O problema com essas criações mentais é que sempre esqueço delas quando chego em casa. Desde que me entendo por gente escrevo histórias na minha cabeça e apenas algumas delas acabam num papel ou no computador.

Neste momento de reflexão, o que quero dizer é que sou grata por tudo o que este ano me trouxe. Primeiro de tudo, casei-me com um homem maravilhoso que fez uma grande diferença na minha vida. Meus três filhos estão indo bem nas suas carreiras e estudos. Fiz dois novos amigos com quem vou passar o Ano Novo. Não perdi nenhum amigo. Aprendi muito sobre espiritismo, o que me levou a entender e aceitar a vida de uma outra maneira.Comecei o ano desempregada e vou terminá-lo com uma quantidade razoável de trabalhos de consultoria. Publiquei um conto numa revista literária nos EUA e uma crônica numa revista literária no Brasil. Viajei duas vezes ao Brasil e me diverti muito! Fui muito abençoada ...

Claro, o ano me trouxe alguns contratempos, como os problemas com meu joelho que precisará de um tratamento mais sério, algumas batalhas com a depressão, alguns períodos de nervosismo quando  me deparei com a insegurança do trabalho de consultoria, e assim por diante. Mas quem disse que a vida deve ser feita apenas de momentos felizes? Os momentos difíceis são os que mais nos ensinam e nos forçam a progredir, tornando-nos pessoas melhores, apesar de que gostaríamos de não vivenciá-los.

Como todo mundo, já fiz minhas resoluções de Ano Novo e acabei com uma lista grande: quero viver em paz, o que, como todos sabem, não é tão simples. Quero dedicar-me mais à minha vida espiritual. Quero ser mais paciente com todos à minha volta. E, acima de tudo, quero escrever mais. Escrever é minha paixão e decidi que, em 2011, vou me entregar a ela.  

Desejo a todos vocês um 2011 cheio de alegria, paz e beleza! Espero que possam ler algumas das minhas histórias em 2011.

Photos Tyler Park, Newtown PA: Bernadete Piassa

1 comment:

  1. Dete, acabei de publicar meu último post de 2010 e fiz questão de escrevê-lo antes de ler o seu para não me sentir influenciada.
    Anyway, temos alguns pontos meio parecidos.
    Acho que devemos atribuir isso à nossa sintonia.
    Bjs. Tomara que 2011 traga coisas boas - aprendizado, escrita, trabalho, grana, amor, saúde - para nós duas e para as pessoas que tanto amamos!

    ReplyDelete