Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The Waters Of Life (As águas da vida)


Why do we deprive ourselves of doing things that are pleasurable to us? Why do we have this annoying habit of punishing ourselves? Since I lost my job six months ago, I convinced myself that I had to cancel my membership at the athletic club, stop practicing yoga and swimming. Finally, I realized that it would make me so happy to go back to these activities that it would be worth the money. Last week, I started swimming again.

The swimming pool is beautiful as always, inviting me to leap into it and enjoy the caresses of the water. When I jump in, I remember that the heater isn’t working. It is 49F degrees outside and the water doesn’t seem to be warmer than 55F degrees even though the club has an inside pool. But, after the initial shock, I am back in my element, swimming.

The water touches my body softly and I feel like smiling, even though I am concentrating on my movements. To be in the pool again is a magical experience. Swimming on my back, I look at the bars on the ceiling that help me to calculate if I am moving straight in the lane. I tend to waver, going either too much to one side or too much to the other, never in a straight line. I guess that is how I go about life, trying one side and then the other, not exactly sure of the correct way to move forward… Swimming on my stomach, I see the water in the depths of the pool, and my arms part it as if asking permission to be in that place. I realize that in life I am always asking permission to do things.

Although I am happy in the water, it is hard to keep my mind on the act of swimming. I find myself thinking about the short story that I just finished writing, about what I will do for dinner, about a Japanese woman who is swimming in the lane on the right. Then I ask myself why is it so difficult to keep our minds in the here and now, even when we are experiencing a moment of joy.

I try to swim one lap concentrating only on the pool, on my movements. Again, my mind tricks me and takes me somewhere else. I think about this article that I read in a magazine where a swimmer said that to motivate herself, for every lap she did she thought about a year of her life. Would I be able to recall every year of my life? I don’t think so, but I do travel to the past sometimes when I am swimming.

I travel to the future too. I imagine how happy I would be if I were to win the lottery and could stay in my house writing. I would be very happy… After this thought, I realize that I am already happy, even though I did not win the lottery. There are small things in life that make me feel very rich. It is not only the money. It is the beauty of life in itself, its movements, and its mysteries.

AS ÁGUAS DA VIDA

Por que nos proibimos de fazer coisas que nos dão prazer? Por que temos esse hábito chatíssimo de nos punir? Desde que perdi meu emprego há seis meses, me convenci de que não podia mais frequentar a academia de ginástica, praticar ioga e natação. Finalmente, percebi que ficaria tão feliz se voltasse a fazer essas atividades, que valeria a pena investir um dinheiro nisso. Na semana passada, recomecei a nadar.

A piscina está linda como sempre, me convidando a entrar e desfrutar as carícias da água. Quando entro, me lembro que o aquecedor não está funcionando. Lá fora está 9C graus e a água não parece estar acima de 12C graus, embora a piscina seja coberta. Mas, após o choque inicial, estou de volta ao meu elemento, nadando.

A água toca suavemente o meu corpo e tenho vontade de sorrir, apesar de estar me concentrando nos meus movimentos. Voltar à piscina é uma experiência mágica. Nadando de costas, olho para as barras do teto que me ajudam a calcular se estou nadando em linha reta na raia. Tenho tendência a vacilar, indo às vezes muito para um lado ou muito para o outro, nunca numa linha reta. Acho que me comporto assim na vida em geral, tentando uma coisa ou outra, nunca confiando que estou na direção certa ... Nadando estilo crawl, vejo a água no fundo da piscina, e os meus braços abrindo-a, como que pedindo permissão para estar ali. Sei que na vida estou sempre pedindo permissão para fazer as coisas.

Embora me sinta feliz na água, é difícil me concentrar no ato de nadar. Me pego pensando sobre o conto que acabei de escrever, sobre o que vou fazer pra janta, sobre a japonesa que está nadando na raia da direita. Então, me pergunto por que é tão difícil manter nossa mente no aqui e agora, mesmo quando estamos vivendo um momento de alegria.

Tento nadar de ida e volta uma vez, concentrando-me apenas na piscina, nos meus movimentos. Mais uma vez, minha mente me engana e me leva para outro lugar. Penso sobre um artigo que li numa revista no qual uma nadadora dizia que, para se motivar, pensava num ano da sua vida a cada volta que dava na piscina. Será que seria capaz de me lembrar de todos os anos da minha vida? Acho que não, mas de vez em quando, quando estou nadando, viajo ao passado.

Viajo ao futuro também. Imagino como ficaria feliz se ganhasse na loteria e pudesse ficar em casa escrevendo. Ficaria muito feliz ... Pensando nisso, percebo que já estou feliz, apesar de não ter ganho na loto. Algumas coisas da vida nos fazem sentir muito ricas. Não é só uma questão de dinheiro. É a beleza da vida por si mesma, seus movimentos, e os seus mistérios.

No comments:

Post a Comment