Monday, August 17, 2009

Our luggage (Nossa bagagem)


When I was young, there was a turtle that lived in the backyard of my house in Corumba. The turtle was very big and disappeared from time to time. Sometimes, we would find it and climb on its back to see if the turtle could walk with us on top. The turtle could do it! I was always fascinated by its strength. But what I found still more interesting was the fact that wherever the turtle went, it carried its house on its back – at least that is what someone told me.

I was thinking about the turtle and its own house because Saturday was moving day. My daughter moved to Philadelphia and my boyfriend moved to my house. We spent the day carrying boxes and more boxes full of stuff. Then, today, I had to make room for his stuff at my house and realized how much stuff I also had. How had I accumulated all these things? After moving so many times, how could I still have so much trash around the house?

My family should work for a moving company giving tips about how to move. For some reason, it seems that we are always moving around. Among my sisters, the one that moved the least was the youngster who moved about 5 times. The others, average about 10 moves each and, as for me, my current house is the nineteenth.

Even after all these years moving, there are still things I keep without knowing exactly why. Friday, getting ready for moving day, I found this old candle that came in a cute tin, which I never lit and never displayed. It has been sitting in one drawer or another for about 25 years. Then, there was this jacket that doesn’t fit me anymore, and has been dragged around for 30 years. Why is it so difficult to let go of our possessions that sometimes could be used by someone else? Aren’t the treasures that we keep in our memories more important than any object?

I like to ask people what they would grab from their house in case of a fire. I would get my photo albums. Would someone go back to a house on fire to get a pocketbook? How about all those very expensive creams? And, my God, how about an Ipod? When we think about that, we realize how unimportant the objects are. We could definitely live without the majority of them.

I have this collection of 50 classic books written in Portuguese. They are beautiful hardcover books with golden letters on the cover and illustrations inside. These are books written by Voltaire, Hemingway, Dostoyevsky, Proust, Machado de Assis and many others… I bought these books little by little. They were published by Abril Cultural, a publishing house in which I worked for about 30 years ago. Every week I would go and buy a new book and add it to the collection.

These books already lived in 9 houses and 3 countries. Of course, after all this time, I already read the ones that I wanted to read and the others that I didn’t, I won’t ever get to them. I never read any of the books again, but still I carry them with me in all my moving around.

Why do I do that? Well, I think I like to look at them. But wouldn’t it be much better to give the books to a library, where someone would really read them? I read somewhere that after Paulo Coelho reads a book, he leaves it on a bench in a park so someone else can get it and read it. It takes courage, I think, to part with a book especially if the book has a story that appeals to you.

But would I carry my books in case of a fire? I don’t think so. Because of that, tomorrow I am donating them to the Brazilian Library in New York. It is time to learn to travel light. After tomorrow, the books might not be on my shelf anymore. They will be serving their real purpose on life. Not to have their covers admired, but to fill someone’s imagination with stories.


NOSSA BAGAGEM

Quando eu era criança, havia uma tartaruga que morava no quintal da minha casa em Corumbá. A tartaruga era muito grande e desaparecia de vez em quando. Às vezes, nós a encontrávamos e subíamos no seu casco, para ver se ela podia andar com a gente em cima. A tartaruga podia! Eu sempre ficava fascinada com a sua força. Mas o que achava mais interessante ainda era saber que a tartaruga transportava a sua casa nas costas – pelo menos era o que alguém tinha me dito…

Estava pensando sobre a tartaruga e a casa dela porque sábado foi dia de mudança. Minha filha se mudou para a Filadélfia e meu namorado se mudou para minha casa. Passamos o dia transportando caixas e mais caixas cheias de coisas. Hoje, tive de arrumar lugar para colocar as coisas dele na minha casa e percebi quanta coisa eu tinha. Como tinha acumulado todas essas coisas? Depois de me mudar tantas vezes, como podia ainda ter tanto lixo pela casa?

Minha família deveria trabalhar para uma empresa de mudança, dando sugestões para quem quisesse se mudar. Por alguma razão, parece que estamos sempre em movimento. Das minhas irmãs, a que menos se mudou foi a mais nova que se mudou mais ou menos 5 vezes. As outras se mudaram em média umas 10 vezes. Quanto a mim, esta é a décima nona casa em que moro.

Mesmo depois de todos esses anos me mudando, ainda há coisas que levo sem saber exatamente o porquê. Sexta-feira, quando me preparava para a mudança, encontrei uma vela velha que veio dentro de uma latinha bonitinha, que nunca acendi e nunca pus de enfeite. A vela ficou em uma gaveta ou outra mais ou menos 25 anos. Achei também um casaco, que nem cabe mais em mim, e está sendo arrastado de um lugar para outro por 30 anos. Por que é tão difícil nos separar de coisas que, às vezes, poderiam ser utilizadas por outra pessoa? Os tesouros que guardamos na memória não são mais importantes do que qualquer objeto?

Gosto de perguntar às pessoas o que pegariam da sua casa no caso de um incêndio. Eu pegaria meus álbuns de fotografias. Será que alguém voltaria a uma casa pegando fogo para buscar uma bolsa? Será que voltaria para pegar os cremes de marcas caras? E quem pegaria o iPod, meu Deus? Quando pensamos nisso, nos damos conta de como os objetos são irrelevantes. Poderíamos viver muito bem sem a maioria deles.

Tenho uma coleção com cerca de 50 livros em português. São livros bonitos de autores clássicos, com capa dura, letras douradas na capa e ilustrações no interior das capas. Há livros de Voltaire, Hemingway, Dostoiewsky, Proust, Machado de Assis e muitos outros ... Comprei esses livros pouco a pouco. Foram publicados pela Abril Cultural, uma editora na qual trabalhei há uns 30 anos. Toda semana eu ia e comprava um livro novo da coleção.

Esses livros já viveram em 9 casas e 3 países. Claro que, depois de todo esse tempo, já li os que queria e nunca vou ler os outros. Nunca releio qualquer um dos livros, mas mesmo assim carrego-os cada vez que me mudo.

Por que faço isso? Bem, acho que gosto de olhar para eles. Mas não seria muito melhor dá-los para uma biblioteca, onde alguém iria realmente lê-los? Li em algum lugar que depois que Paulo Coelho lê um livro, deixa num banco de um parque para que alguém possa pegá-lo e lê-lo. Acho que é preciso coragem para se separar de um livro, especialmente os livros que têm uma estória legal.

Mas será que levaria meus livros no caso de um incêndio? Acho que não. Por isso, amanhã vou doá-los à biblioteca brasileira em Nova York. Está na hora de aprender a viajar sem muita bagagem. Depois de amanhã, os livros não estarão mais na minha estante. Estarão cumprindo sua verdadeira função na vida. Não a de ter suas capas admiradas, mas a de encher a imaginação de alguém com estórias.

2 comments:

  1. Moving, moving, moving. Does our family have a sense of adventure, does it constantly crave fresh starts? I think all of these moves are also the result of more opportunities elsewhere around the world and our possibly genetic curiousity. Moving is looking for better places, and declaring a slight dissatisfaction with the old. Some people are satified to live in the same town for decades. They perfer the company of those they know to the possiblity of new encounters. I look back at all of the places that I have lived, and I would choose somewhere new over those of my past if I had to go somehwere right now. I hate the act of moving though. Just thinking of boxes make me nervous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you book collection find a nice and comfortable place on the library's shelter.
    And I wish them lot of new readers....

    Tomara que sua coleção de livros encontre um bom e confortável lugar nas estantes da biblioteca.
    E eu desejoa a eles muitos novos leitores...

    ReplyDelete